Sunday, May 16, 2010

Day 3--Tell them there is Hope

8:15pm, Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Today we worshiped at the church that sponsors the clinics where we work. As we pulled up to the church I could hear impassioned singing coming from inside. I recognized the tune to which I have sung, "Because He lives, I can face tomorrow. Because He lives, all fear is gone." Hearing those words in Creole, sung by those who have feared tomorrows, the song took on a whole new meaning for me.
During the service, God told me to tell the people that there is hope for Haiti. He said that it will come through my Church, the bride I love. I asked God how I was to tell them. Soon, Pastor Jude asked me to come forth and give the closing prayer. It was time to tell them. I prayed Jeremiah 29:11 over the the Church. I thanked God that Hope for Haiti will come through the Church that He is raising up for such a time as this.
After church we drove through Port-au-Prince. We saw the wide-spread damage that we've heard about through the media all these months. Buildings are flattened, seemingly at random. One of our translators pointed out a a pile of rubble to me. It was a movie theater, he told me. Because they haven't cleared the rubble yet, bodies remain inside--entombed right there, he told me.
As we continued our drive, we saw thousands of tents. Along the streets, people hawked their wares. Raw meat, fruit, vegetables, medicines, cell phones, shoes, tires, reclaimed rebar, etc. lined the curb. Sometimes polluted water flowed over the food for sale. We passed slum neighborhoods that exemplify a need beyond my comprehension.
We also saw piles of clothes and other "donated goods." Piles and piles of North American cast offs sat rotting in the sun in front of the slums. A few people picked through things, but it was obvious that most of it would never be used. It became very clear to me that the people of Haiti don't need anymore of our stuff--for stuff's sake. They need the Love of Christ shown through the hands and feet of His people--present and compassionate. They need to know that there is Hope, Hope that will come through the people of the church who will live a life that becomes the Gospel. They need to know that there is Hope that is shown by our presence to share His Love. Sure there are specific needs to be met, but those must be completed by a person who gives in Love for best interest of Christ mission to the people of Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment