Friday, May 21, 2010

Day 7--Headed Home


6:00am
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
As usual on a mission journey, I leave for home with mixed emotions. I am excited to get to see my family again, but I fell as though I'm leaving a part of me here in Haiti. The work we've done here has been wonderful. God has done many miraculous things. The people we met are great. I pray that I can return here soon to be a part of it again.

9:07pm
Birmingham, Alabama
The flight home was easy. The Port-au-Prince airport is an experience in and of itself. Waiting in the airport, I felt like I was in a Jimmy Buffett song.
Coming home was an adjustment. It was good to see family again. We went to the Galleria where I could walk into any store and find thousands of choices before me. I stepped into an air-conditioned restaurant where I ate the food and drank the water without hesitation. The people seated at the tables around me had no idea. They had no idea of what I'd been through or what I'd seen. How will we tell them? How will we tell others of the call to live a life that serves others and to answer the call to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, and visit the sick and imprisoned? May I show up and pay attention to the opportunities presented to me here and wherever the Lord may lead me next.

No comments:

Post a Comment